What is CanSkate?
CanSkate is Skate Canada's flagship learn-to-skate program, designed for children three and up. It consists of weekly, Fifty minute, group skating sessions. The groups are kept small to provide as much individual attention as possible. Skaters work on all six fundamental movements of skating, Go Forward, Stop,Go Backward, Jump, Turn and Spin. The Skaters progress through seven stages, earning a badge for each stage that he/she completes.
What Equipment Does My Child Require?
1. Comfortable, well fitted skates (these need not be figure skates at this level)
2. A helmet is mandatory for all CanSkate participants up to and including Stage 5. Skaters must wear a CSA approved hockey helmet while on the ice.
3. Warm but comfortable clothing (may include splash pants or snow pants)
4. Mittens or gloves (don't forget an extra pair in case they get wet)
5. A Name/Group Badge (Will be provided by the Club)
Is your child going to play hockey????
We encourage kids that want to continue on after CanSkate in hockey to wear their hockey gear for CanSkate. We do ask that your hockey stick stay in the dressing room!!!
What should You do If You Have Questions?
Our Coaches are very approachable and would be happy to answer any questions that you may have about your child's program. However, please refrain from approaching the coach while they are teaching as session as this disrupts the class.
You may also speak with any number of our Board Members or contact the club by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Are there any Competitions for CanSkaters?
There are several competitions each year which are open to skater at the CanSkate level. If your child is interested in attending a competition please feel free to talk to any of the Coaches or Executive to obtain more information.